John has been with the Firm since 2001 developing a wide range of legal expertise, becoming Senior Partner of the Firm in 2005.
Whilst John has extensive experience of a number of areas of legal work, including property based work, employment and trusts. John now principally has a caseload in the areas of:-
John has clients ranging from individuals and small businesses to larger corporate entities. John will often work with a team involving other members of the practice or where appropriate other professionals such as barristers, forensic accountants or medical experts.
John deals with both Criminal and Civil Litigation and is the Firm Supervisor for Very High Cost Cases (VHCC). Our Firm is one of a limited number of practices accredited to carry out such work by the Legal Services Commission’s Complex Crime Unit. Such cases generally involve allegations of serious criminal wrongdoing and provide a combination of high financial value, voluminous evidence, widespread public concern or notoriety and complex issues. John has particular expertise in relation to cases involving finance and property.
A brief summary of cases has included:
- Representing a Defendant in alleged multi-million pound mortgage fraud, said to be the largest ever prosecuted in England and Wales.
- Litigation in multi-party construction claim involving sums in excess of £1m.
- Litigating in the High Court for multiple parties in concurrent proceedings including issues of injunctive relief, dissipation of assets and constitutional matters.
- Instructed to defend in multi-party professional negligence and construction dispute for sums in excess of £1m.
- Successful appeal to the Supreme Court on issues of strict liability, causation and acts/omissions, a success which went against the majority of academic comment and guidance on the issue.
- Acting for thousands of claimants under a Group Litigation Order for damages arising out of a historic national emergency.
- Acting for a party in a High Court Civil case with multiple defendants based on alleged mortgage fraud involving millions of pounds.
- Acting for Independent Financial Advisor in professional negligence case involving a claim in excess of £1million.
- Representing Directors and Shareholders in the sale of high value business with national and international dealings.
- Advising Executor in contentious Estate Administration of lottery winner
- Representing Defendant in Proceeds of Crime Application where the Crown Prosecution Service sought in excess of £1.3million, which was reduced by 97%.
- Acting for a local businessman in civil case to recover in excess of £250,000.00 on property dealings.
- Acting for local businessman in dispute concerning borrowings arising out of complex land transactions.
- Representing businessman in civil litigation involving joint venture and purchase of investment properties.
- Acting for entrepreneur in case involving mortgage fraud, money laundering and transfers of proceeds of crime involving millions of pounds.
- Acting for a Defendant in large scale “long firm” fraud.
- Successful private prosecution for an individual through to appeal at the Crown Court based on statutory nuisance.